This DVD is the second in a series of four from David Whitley, and Mark and Tracy Reifkind from On Target Publications. Other DVD's in the series include the following:
- Lessons Of The Old-Time Strongmen
- Kettlebell Fundamentals: Deepening Your Getup Skills
- Programming The Kettlebell Swing
- Lats: The Super Muscles
(See my previous review of Lessons Of The Old-Time Strongmen)
Most all of my Stop Chasing Pain fans and every single one of my patient's know that the Turkish Getup is my favorite exercise. It is also my favorite movement pattern. I love the Getup, and anytime I have the opportunity to learn more about it and do it better, I jump on the chance!
I have seen many DVD's, workshops, seminars, and YouTube videos (don't get me started) showing different variations and instructions on the Getup. I have to say that this version was the most in depth, yet simple explanation of the who, what, where, when, and why of the movement.
Dave Whitley is a Master RKC Instructor and CK-FMS Specialist, so you can rest assured he is an expert on Kettlebells and movement. That meant a lot to me, because so many people put themselves out there as experts and they do not have the credentials to back it up! And with the Getup, you want to learn from an expert. David teaches a step by step system for mastering the Getup by breaking down each movement and explaining 'why' you are doing it. He is not just showing you the move, he is teaching you the move.
Here is a taste of what he teaches:
- How did the Turkish Getup get it's name? Fascinating...bet you hardly any one can tell you that answer. Dave will!
- The critical importance of hip mobility in the Getup and how the movement can actually assess mobility (movement)
- The subtle 'windshield' wiper move that can make all the difference in the hips
- Setting the pelvis to correct your vectors
- A really cool way to bridge the hips so you can sense the direction of movement on the initial phase of the Getup (Dave stresses many times that it is NOT a sit-up motion)
- Why he prefers the 'High Bridge' in the Getup and why it was added
- Demonstration of the KB Arm Bar for shoulder and T-spine mobility/stability (Yes there is a right and wrong way to do the arm bar for best results)
- The importance of the wrist and grip for KB success
- Understanding your 90 degree angles during each phase of movement (quality...not quantity)
- How everything ends up being related to the Getup and Swing...such a great insight into recognizing how it all ties together so you understand that's it's more than just an exercise.
Take time invest in your education with this DVD. So many products are out there that promise you everything, and yet deliver nothing. How many times have you purchased DVD's and been sorely disappointed with the quality and content of information? If you are like me, tons! Trust me, on this DVD you will be not be disappointed.
I am giving David's DVD 5 Stars ***** . Why five? Because I know the content will help me transform the health, body and well-being of my clients. And that my friends is what it's all about. The only thing better than this DVD is if you get the pleasure of seeing Dave teach it in person. That is a good goal to have!
In summary...I highly recommend this DVD. So go get one ASAP and see for yourself!
A sample video clip from the DVD talking about hip mobility.
Click here to purchase the 4 disc set from On Target Publications.
|CLICK HERE TO ORDER|
Stay tuned for my next review of Mark and Tracy Reifkind's DVD's.